Thursday, November 13, 2008

Cashman steals Swisher

Well, I called for a Cano - Swisher trade a couple months ago, then backed off in favor of a Cano for Chris Young deal. Not bad on the Swisher front, but I'd give myself an "F" for the Cano side.

I don't see any way this trade is anything but a huge win for the Yankees, and I'm giving Cashman all the credit in the world for it. Swisher's exceptional patience at the plate fits like a glove with what the Yankees were doing in the late 90's, and I'm not worried about his poor 2008 -- I'd bet he ends up a strong candidate for comeback player of the year next year.

That said, this would seem to indicate that Teixeira is a wish and not a requirement, unless the Yankees can trade Damon or Nady and move Swisher to an OF corner. Nady doesn't fit the Yankee model for displaying patience, and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him moved in the next few weeks. Having three OFs hit free agency at the same time probably isn't the best idea anyway, and Swisher would fit really nicely into RF for the next few years.

I also think this makes Juan Miranda expendable. What teams would be interested in a Nady - Miranda - prospect package for a CF? Obviously getting greedy, but I'm really, really, really liking a lineup that includes both Swisher and Teixeira.

How about Nady - Miranda - Kennedy to Seattle for Bedard? Ichiro? Maybe Nady - Miranda to the Giants for Rowand?

No comments: